The Empire on the Way to Modernisation. Russia in the 19th – Early 20th Century
· the history of modernisation in Imperial Russia;
· internal and external impulses that induced transformations;
· traditional values and challenges of the time;
· reformists, hardline traditionalists and revolutionaries;
· Russian people in the time of great reforms and turmoil.
The exposition showcases the history of major political and economic reforms of 19th- early 20th centuries in Russia. What was the influence of serfdom abolition, the birth of Russia's Parliamentarism on the development of labour and revolutionary movements? What was the outcome of Witte’s and Stolypin’s transformations? What made revolutionary terrorism a common method during that period?
Rare archival documents, photos, posters, magazines and newsreels will show the inner and outer factors that urged the authorities to implement reforms. You will see the weapons of the period of the first Russian Revolution, the shackles worn by Chernyshevsky [N. G, Chernyshevsky (1828 – 1889) - a revolutionary democrat, materialist philosopher, critic], the children’s toy cubes, used to deliver the banned Iskra newspaper to Russia and other unique exhibits.
Публикация от: 20.11.2017 15:50:47