The exhibition «The Great Patriotic War. Beginning. Special Services in the defence of Leningrad» opened on Gorokhovaya 2


The museum`s branch «Gorokhovaya 2» opened an exhibition «The Great Patriotic War. Beginning. Special Services in the Defence of Leningrad».


The exhibition introduces little-studied pages of history of the Soviet special services employees of which participated in the defense of the besieged Leningrad, in the fighting actions of the Volkhov and Leningrad fronts, resisted German Intelligence. During the War there were 58 divisions and 20 brigades of the NKVD in the active army. Around 100,000 NKVD officers gave their lives for the victory.


Sergey Spiridonov, the head of the branch «Gorokhovaya 2»:
«Our mission was to present a comprehensive view of the activities of the state security bodies to protect the North-West region during the War, to bring to light their hard and heroic work, to show that it was not reduced to repression alone – although, they are also mentioned in the exhibition. The exhibition reveals the history of the special services during the War years through the fates of specific people - border guards, counter-intelligence officers, soldiers of the NKVD troops, heads of Leningrad state security bodies, cadets».


Stanislav Bernev, Lieutenant Colonel in the reserve, Chairman of the Historical Club, member of the Presidium of the Veterans' Council of the Russian Federal Security Service Administration in Saint-Petersburg and the Leningrad Region, PhD in History, also spoke at the opening ceremony. He gifted the Museum his recently published collection «The Invisible Front in the Defence of Leningrad. 1941-1944». The book tells about the contribution of the NKVD-NKGB Department of the Leningrad Region in the defense of Leningrad. It is supplemented by four brochures written during the Siege by Pyotr Kubatkin, the head of the NKVD Department of the Leningrad Region. The original of one of Kubatkin's brochures, «The Subversive Work of Nazi Intelligence on the Leningrad Front», is on display at the exhibition.


The Museum is thankful for the materials being provided by the Archive of the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation in Saint-Petersburg and the Leningrad Region, the FSB Border Department in Saint-Petersburg and the Leningrad Region, the Gatchina branch of the Central Archive of the Russian Ministry of Defense, the Military Historical Museum of Artillery, Engineering and Signal Troops, the Priozyorsk branch of the «Museum Agency» - the Fortress Museum «Korela».


Special thanks to S. V. Ratz, D. I. Kachalin, T. Y. Stepanov, who provided materials for the exhibition from their personal archives.

Address:

2-4 Kuibysheva St., Saint-Petersburg

Phones:

(812) 233-70-52,

(812) 313-61-63

Site developed by:Ellipse Arts Ltd

© 2004-2023   The State Museum of Political History of Russia